Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Festival of South Asia as Hot & Spicy as the Food

TORONTO - I must say that I am very impressed by all of the culturally diverse festivals and events that are happening in Toronto since I moved back from New York. I stumbled upon this wonderful site http://www.torontozig.com/ which has been my guide to what is going on in this city. I feared that moving back to Toronto would mean a socially boring life with nothing to do and nothing to see, but that has not been the case.

I was counting down the weekends to the Festival of South Asia and finally it arrived; I was not disappointed. Unlike the Taste of the Danforth, it was a perfect weekend weather-wise, it was very hot and sunny – and I think that it added to the festival’s vibrance. Equipped with my camera, I headed down to Gerrard Street (Toronto) (between Coxwell and Greenwood) which is the headquarters of the festival and one of the largest South Asian marketplaces in North America. Gerrard Street East was completely shut down and the cars that normally populate the streets were replaced with street vendors selling clothes, shoes, food, drinks, music, and DVDs. (Read the rest of the article on www.TravelJournalNetwork.com)

Festival of South Asia, Toronto 2008 from chantalsunita on Vimeo.


0 comments: